Think Positively -This too shall Pass
Posted on April 21, 2020
When the news is all doom and gloom, as it has been since the outbreak of the corona virus, it’s hard for even the most optimistic among us to stay positive. It’s true that we need to take this virus seriously. It’s capable of causing severe illness, death, and drastic long-term changes to how we live and work. It could even cripple the economy. It’s not easy to stay focused in the time of calamities. Moreover, topics covered on local and national news makes us more paranoid.
But the awareness can make us counterproductive. Obviously, we should know the ways to protect ourselves from this pandemic and for that we need not be COVID 19 experts or keep on hearing every unpleasant detail about the same from dawn to until bedtime. Instead, focus on the positive so that we have the energy and resolve needed to weather this storm.
Those who are planning for the U.S. Higher Education should not be disheartened. No disaster will last long. Don`t be in a haste to lose hope. Such reputed good old institutions will not be shut down. There are many scientists in the U.S. Universities doing research to find a solution to this grave situation. There are many students who got admits are waiting for the visa process. These are simply the testing times for the humanity.
Here are few things we can follow:
- Limit your intake : Instead of being glued to the news channel and media for 24 hours and browsing through several news channel stick to one single news source and decide how much limited time to be spent on gathering the news. Too much exposed to the media may cause unnecessary panic and fear.
- Look to the Past : Get hope from the past resilience. We have seen natural calamities and force majeure scenarios earlier too; we have successfully made through it and that is how we became stronger. Keep remembering those time and gather your courage through positive thinking.
- Make use of technology and social media in a positive way : Now that we are all at home get connected with your teachers, and mentors exchange your ideas and opinions through zoom, google hangout etc. and keep talking to alike minded people. As a student this is the time to research on your subjects and future prospects. Concentrate on your career goals. Many reputed universities have free online session, enroll in online classes and get the credit. Learn to gain knowledge and not just degree
- Look after your neighbours : You may be at low risk of severe consequences from the virus, but it may not be the same for your neighbours whose immune systems are compromised. This is the time to show you care. Take care of the people who are your support system, who are still on job to make your life better and safe. Think of those who could benefit from your thoughtfulness and generosity.
- Take advantage of found time : Use this time to focus on the work which has been long lost activity in life. Concentrate on your hobbies, create something that gives pleasure and sense of achievements, be it music or arts. Read some good books. Health and fitness regime can work as superb game changer in boredom. Explore your culinary skill and be innovative with your day to day food habits. Progress towards building your personal and professional profile. Use the time in a productive way.
- Take a daily inventory : Close your day, every day, with a positive acknowledgement of something you accomplished, learned or are grateful for. In times of constant negative messaging, you need an antidote so that you can keep your positive attitude and march forward with determination and hope. Be deliberate in activities that are positive, heart-warming, stress reducing.