Importance of social media for studying in the U.S
Posted on May 11, 2020
Why are social media handles important for students aspiring to go to U.S.?
- Social media helps to create a digital profile/ portfolio for the students.
- It is important to declare all social media handles in your DS 160 Form for F1 Visa Application. There is an option and space to declare the same in such application forms
- University admission officers look at the prospective students’ social media handles to link the profile that has been depicted in the application.
- Linking social media can be good way to showcase certain skills or add more information about self.
- Social media handles are a platform to portray or demonstrate a person’s interests like culinary skills, gardening, values like importance to punctuality, integrity, extracurricular activities like painting, music or non-cognitive skills like leadership, time management, etc. Social media handles can showcase individual attributes beyond what can be described in the resume or statement of purpose.
- Prospective students should also follow colleges on social media to get a glimpse of campus life.
- Get connected with alumni/ alumnae through social media.
- Strategize and build profile in social media.
- Presence in digital platform like LinkedIn helps to reach out to more people and get employment opportunities.
- Your talents can be showcased and reach to a larger audience through a YouTube video or FB post.
- Digital platform is the growing sector. Be it entertainment, news, education or business everyone has a digital presence.
- Students can reach out to like-minded peer group through social media.
- Social media helps to develop knowledge, it makes people more liberal, helps to be tolerant towards diversity and different customs.
- It helps the students to learn about the world views and exchange ideas.
Dos & Don’ts for the students on social media handles
- Don’t incorporate objectionable comments on any race, culture, community, sex etc.
- Always be apolitical in your social media profile
- Show faith in diversity, integrity and do not spread hatred through your social media profile
- Social media profile can serve as code of conduct for the students so keep it clean
- Use social media for positive purpose be it highlighting your university or country
- Handle your profile carefully and not casually
- Never plagiarize or use fake information in your social media handles
- Never brag unnecessarily on your social media platform